[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 105: Simplified M&A transfer policy

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Dec 23 03:37:18 EST 2009

> 8.2. Mergers and Acquisitions
>
> ARIN will consider requests for the transfer of number
> resources in the case of properly documented mergers and
> acquisitions.  ARIN will maintain an up-to-date list of
> acceptable types of documentation.
>
> In the event that number resources of the acquired/merged
> organization(s) are no longer efficiently utilized at the
> time ARIN becomes aware of the transaction, through a
> transfer request or otherwise, ARIN will work with the
> resource holder(s) to return or aggregate resources as
> appropriate via the processes outlined in sections 4.6, 4.7,
> or 12 of the NRPM.

This is a positive move which will ensure that ARIN's
policy does not put a barrier in the way of M&A activity.
After IPv4 runout, we can expect an increase in the number
of acquisitions as ISPs which had prepared for IPv6
buy out failing companies which did not prepare. This
simpler policy should also make it easier for ARIN staff
to deal with the volume of transfers that take place.

--Michael Dillon