[arin-ppml] Abandonment of 103/104

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Dec 22 20:01:46 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> As one of the members of the AC who voted to abandon these proposals, I will
> state that my reasoning was as follows:
>
> 1.      Basing address policy solely on the amount of money you are willing
>        to spend for addresses is completely contrary to my understanding of
>        the good of the community.
>
> 2.      Crafting internet addressing policy with the clear intent of making it easy
>        for larger networks to treat smaller networks or networks with smaller
>        budgets as second-class citizens by easily relegating them into a
>        filtration category based solely on assignment size is contrary to my
>        understanding of the good of the community.

Owen,

Is the community not capable of expressing this during the consensus
call following formal presentation? You would substitute your judgment
for theirs?

I'm deeply disturbed by this post. My understanding is that the AC's
mission is to help the community craft the best possible policy which
expresses its will and to help the process move smoothly. Killing a
well supported proposal this early obstructs the community's role in
the policy process.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004