[arin-ppml] efficient utilization != needs basis

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Dec 22 17:42:11 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:24 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> With all that said I think we need to figure out what a "needs basis" really
> means for IPv6.

Hi David,

Some comments:

1. I'm not conveinced it's possible to define a "needs basis" that
doesn't have the practical effect of making ARIN the gatekeeper to
Internet routing policy. I haven't thought of one and the attempts
I've seen others make have fallen short.

Making the RIRs the gatekeepers to Internet routing policy is not
necessarily a bad thing, but we should keep eyes wide open.

2. Technologically, the only thing that absolutely requires an address
block distinct from your service provider's is multihoming.  The
natural question which follows from that observation is: who is
deserving enough to be permitted multihoming?

3. The cost of renumbering remains substantial. A needs basis should
weigh the cost of renumbering divided by the typical number of years
between changing ISPs versus the annual cost of maintaining a route or
routes in the DFZ table.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004