[arin-ppml] Routing Research Group is about to decide its scalable routing recommendation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Dec 19 09:03:21 EST 2009

On Dec 19, 2009, at 12:25 AM, Michel Py wrote:

>> Leo Bicknell wrote:
>> As I see it, the problem space has three, high level,
>> diverging paths:
>> A Multihoming happens entirely at the host, making
>> PA-only possible.
>> B The routing system can scale to PI, so everyone has PI.
>> C Neither A or B is possible, so we attempt to decide
>> who is worthy of PI.
>
> There is also D: Dual space protocols (ID/LOC). None of them really got
> traction in the IETF.
>
>> It seems to me we are in case C now.
>
> We are. And in the case of IPv6, we are because the RIRs passed policies
> to allocate PI to non-LIRs, not because the IETF wanted so.

Space A is a non-starter in the real world and was a strong barrier to
IPv6 adoption. The IETF wanting to restrict the world to case A
simply wasn't going to fly.  The RIRs recognized this and passed
pragmatic policy to enable IPv6 to get deployed, since it was far
more important to get people moving on IPv6 than to pretend we
didn't have to solve the routing scalability problem.

The fact that the IETF couldn't see this does not really further the
discussion.

> Sadly, nothing matches the raw simplicity of this unique PI prefix that,
> unfortunately, makes the DFZ big.

It doesn't have to, if you consider using a different locator for your IDR
forwarding decisions, such as destination ASN.

Owen