[arin-ppml] Does Moore's law help with routing table growth?

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sat Dec 19 00:19:11 EST 2009

> Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Well, back to the original topic, what we need to be concerned
> with for policy is not the relationship between bandwidth
> supply and demand, but the relationship between the growth of
> the BGP routing table and the growth of FIBs to accommodate it.

Indeed.

> It appears to me that we're doing OK there: router growth seems
> to be mostly keeping ahead of table growth. As long as we don't
> dramatically increase the rate of growth of the routing table,
> I think we're ok. And AFAICT none of the policy proposals
> currently on the table would change that growth rate enough
> to alarm me.

I agree with this wording.

I don't think we have much maneuvering room though; the benefits of
Moore's law helping building faster routers are more or less offset by
the same Moore's law helping building more bandwidth-hungry consumer
devices. In other words, growth of the DFZ table has to rely on router
enhancements, not on riding Moore's law.

There is no such thing as "PI for everyone" in the foreseeable future.

Michel.