[arin-ppml] Routing Research Group is about to decide its scalable routing recommendation

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Dec 18 14:51:10 EST 2009

In a message written on Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:34:58AM -0800, Michel Py wrote:
> > Leo Bicknell wrote:
> > What I am hearing is that the research community believes that BGP4
> > cannot scale to the point where everyone has a provider independent
> > prefix.  That if we want to have everyone have a provider independent
> > prefix, we need a new technology to be in place first.
>
> That technology was supposed to be IPv6, PA-only. Unfortunately it was
> launched before the quest for a working PA-only multihoming solution
> ended up returning with nothing.

I agree that was the IETF's direction, but it is also a different
solution.  As I see it, the problem space has three, high level,
diverging paths:

A Multihoming happens entirely at the host, making PA-only possible.

B The routing system can scale to PI, so everyone has PI.

C Neither A or B is possible, so we attempt to decide who is worthy
  of PI.

It seems to me we are in case C now, the IETF tried A several years ago
and gave up, and the IETF is now trying B.  (roughly)

Which raises an interesting question, why hasn't SCTP taken off more?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_Control_Transmission_Protocol