[arin-ppml] debunking the myth that Moore's law helps

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed Dec 16 22:57:58 EST 2009

Leo,

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> This is just not true, and here's why: yes, Moore's law is still in
>> effect. But guess what: link speed / bandwidth/ TE requirements /
>> etc have evolved also, possibly even faster than Moore's law.

> Leo Bicknell wrote:
> I'm not quite sure Moore's law is the right analogy,
> but I believe the concept you put forth is sound.

I believe that it is more of an analogy, there is a direct relation as I
will attempt to explain below:

- The bandwidth on the Internet is driven by demand.
- The demand is driven by devices that connect, namely computers and now
TVs.
- The {speed | power | memory} of these devices is directly related to
Moore's law.
- Michel's law 0.9 says: "A device that is twice as fast or has twice as
much memory will consume twice as much bandwidth".

Therefore I say: there is a direct relation between Moore's law and
Internet bandwidth. Call this simple, simplified, simplistic, whatever.
And debunk it please.

Michel.