ARIN-PPML Message

[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6


Tony Hain wrote:
> Why do you say multi-homing is unrealistic? Do ARIN policies keep you from
> getting a PI /48? If so that needs to be fixed. If not, your complaint would
> appear to be an artificial justification for delaying. 

At check point we asked for and obtained ipv6 pi space under the current
ARIN number policy, although it's been while since I've done it for ipv4
I wouldn't characterize it as either dramatically different or hard.

> Tony
> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On
>> Behalf Of Shane Foster
>> Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:25 PM
>> To: John Curran; Chris Engel
>> Cc: arin-ppml at arin.net
>> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6
>>
>> I'm with a small content provider.
>>
>> At the moment, I don't see us moving any of our sites to IPv6 until
>> multihoming is realistic option.
>> The costs aren't an issue, the code changes and config updates are
>> relatively minor, but lack of multihoming options for sites that only
>> need an IPv4 /24 to advertise is a blocker.
>>
>> I see that there are some new (this year) Shim6 RFCs from the IETF.
>> Seems unlikely that there will be any real solutions until that effort
>> is finally dropped.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> 	Shane
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On
>> Behalf Of John Curran
>> Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:43 PM
>> To: Chris Engel
>> Cc: arin-ppml at arin.net
>> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6
>>
>> On Dec 9, 2009, at 4:48 PM, Chris Engel wrote:
>>> Well,
>>>
>>> If the time estimates I've seen put forward here are accurate....and
>> I
>> see no reason to assume they wouldn't be.... then it'll be 2-3 years
>> minimum before we see anyone out there that can ONLY do IPv6.
>>
>> I agree that looks like a lot of time, but there's quite a few
>> assumptions in such an estimate and it could move up very quickly.
>> Additionally, there will be an increasing number of clients which will
>> attempt to connect via IPv6 *first*, so you actually are impacting your
>> performance if you don't do IPv6 soon.
>>
>>> In that time frame I'd be looking for the same sort of solution for
>> public facing servers in the DMZ as I would for the rest of my
>> network....namely some sort of v4 to v6 gateway service that would act
>> as a proxy for my 4 machines and allow them to communicate with IPv6
>> hosts.
>>
>> Does your present firewall device support IPv6 NAT today?   In
>> discussion this situation with other organizations, I'm generally
>> finding that routers, firewalls, and load-balancers aren't what are not
>> what breaks, but instead their tools such as help-desk system and
>> configuration generators which simply don't know IPv6.  Finding these
>> issues is a great reason to experiment with at least one public facing
>> IPv6 server sooner rather than later.
>>
>> /John
>> _______________________________________________
>> PPML
>> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
>> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
>> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>> _______________________________________________
>> PPML
>> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
>> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
>> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>