[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu Dec 10 04:08:20 EST 2009

> Chris Engel wrote:
> [snip]

What Chris wrote recently is representative of the current corporate IT
thinking, IMHO.

Put bluntly, here's what it is: if someone tries to reach me over IPv6,
fails, and their IPv6 -> IPv4 "gateway" also fails, they won't be in
business long enough to interest me in the first place.

> John Curran wrote:
> The principle reason is that others could easily need that IPv6 access
> your public servers well before your own internal community realizes
it.

Hmmm I don't see how this could happen any time soon. Could you post a
real-life scenario? Type of business, and more important who/where would
need access and would not even have the basic cheesy double-NAT IPv4 or
IPv6 transition mechanism good enough to hit the public email servers?

Also, given the predicted small amount of IPv6 email traffic compared to
IPv4, I would consider hosting an email relay somewhere in an
IPv6-enabled colo rather than an infrastructure update.

Michel.