[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 17:08:46 EST 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> does everyone here understand that Microsoft will be releasing
> security updates and patches to XP Professional until 4/8/2014?

Any chance they'll patch DNS to support IPv6?

> You can be sure that XP will be a significant number of installed
> seats on the Internet until then, and as long as it is, IPv6 isn't
> going to be widely deployed.

I use this site to judge number of seats:
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10

Windows 7 already has 4% share.  WinXP was end-of-sale June 2008.
It will have been EOL for six years by 2014, which is longer than the
typical life of a PC, and new PCs will have Windows 7.
I don't know for how long it will be "significant," but no OS older than
six years has even a tenth of a percent share.
WinXP can run dual stack (but not IPv6-only), and so should not be a
significant inhibitor to IPv6.

Lee