[arin-ppml] SWIPs & IPv6

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Dec 7 06:10:11 EST 2009

> However, internet addresses are a public commons resource.
> If you want to be granted the exclusive registration of a
> significant portion of said public commons, then, in
> exchange, you accept certain responsibilities, one of which
> is maintaining a way to contact you about network-related
> issues that includes a valid postal, email, and telephone
> contact point.

This is all fine and good if the address assignee is ready
willing and able to act when receiving communications about
network-related issues, but for the vast majority of assignees
who have no inhouse networking expertise, it makes more sense
to have their network provider's contact information there.

There is still a way to contact the assignee since the
network operator, who has a business relationship with the
assignee, can relay messages or trade contact info between
the contacter and contactee.

> This is a completely legitimate trade-off and I do not see a
> need to change it.
>
> The information should remain transparent and open.

The only information that should be transparent and open is
information that we NEED TO KNOW.

--Michael Dillon