[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:19 AM, Fred Baker <fred at> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2009, at 12:11 PM, Michel Py wrote:
>> I would entertain that IPv4+ (which would be a backwards-compatible IPv4
>> with the only difference being an extended address space) would be much
>> more popular as a solution if it was on the table.
> It would make a lot of sense. How, precisely, would you achieve that? Recall
> that the problem there isn't a failure in the design of IPv6; it's that IPv4
> was not designed to have an extensible address.

Not saying it should be done; just saying it could be done.

> Roughly translated into the
> King's English, that means "you can't get there from here in a reliable
> fashion."

"You can't get there from here" originated with "Which Way to
Millinocket?" which is set in Maine and intended to be delivered in a
thick New England accent. Not exactly King's English.

Bill Herrin

William D. Herrin ................ herrin at  bill at
3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <>
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004