[arin-ppml] SWIPs & IPv6

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Dec 6 15:22:00 EST 2009

> Given your very well-known, lopsided hard-line position on privacy
> matters, this claim defies all credibility. It's literally
> impossible to imagine some credible LEA insider glibly confessing
> this to you.

As usual, you stereotype me and are factually wrong.
I am not a "privacy hard liner" relative to, say, some of the dedicated privacy rights groups; I've had many interesting debates with privacy groups about the tension between freedom of information, freedom of expression, accountability and data protection/privacy. Moreover, it's really not nice to call me a liar about conversations I have had with LEA people in the course of my work on Whois WGs and CERT conferences in Europe and elsewhere; I wouldn't claims that if it wasn't pertinent and true - and those folks wouldn't say it to me if they didn't want that info to get out somehow. Quite apart from that assertion, I will say that there are even discernable differences on this issue within the U.S. Justice Dept.; e.g., between the FTC and the FBI; the former's position in favor of distinguishing between treatment of natural persons and legal persons is a matter of public record.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology