[arin-ppml] SWIPs & IPv6

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Dec 4 14:08:12 EST 2009

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

> Let's say that your teenage daughter uses some VOIP or file
> transfer tool that makes direct connections, thus disclosing
> her IP address to the recipient. And let's say that the
> recipient is a male predator looking for vulnerable teenage
> girls. He looks up the IP address, finds your name and phone
> number on it, and using other means which are readily available
> he gets your home address. At 3 am the next morning, he snips
> your phone line, cuts your power, breaks a window, and climbs
> into your daughter's bedroom with chloroform at the ready.

Sorry but I can't resist shooting fish here

Why is he cutting your phone line when he's going to chloroform
her, thus trying to be silent enough not to wake up anyone
who would try calling 911?

Why are you not running into her room and wacking him on the
head instead of tap tap tapping away on the phone?

Why aren't you picking up your cell phone which is on the
charger on the nightstand and calling 911?

Why is he wasting time fooling with all this whois nonsense
on the Internet when he can just drive around until he
sees a yellow school bus and then follow one of those teenagers
home?

Why is it necessary for people to generate these outlandish
and nonsensical analogies that anyone with a half a brain can
blow holes into, to try to support some point
about supposed whois privacy?  Why do I even bother asking
when I know the answer already - BECAUSE THE WHOIS PRIVACY POINT
IS HOGWASH IN THE FIRST PLACE and the people pushing it
cannot come up with a legitimate example so they make up
silly ones.

Ted