[arin-ppml] SWIPs & IPv6

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Dec 3 17:14:42 EST 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Not only that, but in actual fact it's ridiculously easy to get
> license plate data from the DMV.  All you have to do is go down to the
> county, pay $200 for a business license, list your occupation as "mass
> marketer" then take that to the DMV and they will happily sell you
> their entire database of license plate numbers and names and addresses.

Well, I don't think we want to make things easier for spammers, which is
what that parallel suggests...

More relevant to the intended use of WHOIS, one can send a letter to my
state's DOT asking for the registrant of a particular license plate
number, and they will reply with the requested informoation at no cost.
One has to state they have a "compelling need" (to satisfy state law),
but there is no requirement to say what that need actually is, so it's a
no-op.