ARIN-PPML Message

[arin-ppml] SWIPs & IPv6

I disagreed with Ted yesterday so naturally I have to agree with him strongly today.  We need whois data that allows us to get in touch with a real person in short order.  

More than a few times in my time as an internet professional I have had to contact network administrators whose networks were interfering with mine, whether it was incorrect BGP, rogue malfunctioning network interfaces, botnet or other infestations, or any number of other issues.  

Most of the incidents were innocent, normal malfunctions or human error.  A couple were due to malicious actions by enduser/customers.  

In any case when these things happen waiting days for a response from an anonymized and infrequently checked email is not an acceptable solution.  Some times one needs a name and a telephone number.  

In some cases having to contact the top level provider and then work my way down through a series of book keepers to get to a network operator has extended problem times.

I am not saying IPv6 info will be any better than IPv4 info, but I hope it will not be worse.

Kevin


> -----Original Message-----
> From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On
> Behalf Of Ted Mittelstaedt
> Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 12:53 PM
> To: Danny McPherson
> Cc: arin ppml
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] SWIPs & IPv6
> 
> Danny McPherson wrote:
> > On Dec 1, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >> My original post on this topic was aimed at the 'anti-whois' crowd
> because I felt that the post from Danny on the 30th was a recycling of
> >> the old "well if nobody is filing SWIPS then I'm not going to so let's
> >> get rid of them" argument. I have seen that logic before and I thought
> I
> >> recognized it again, and I have to say that I believe my guess was
> >> right considering Danny's highly negative reaction to my pointing
> >> out the foolishness of not making SWIP data available.
> >
> > For the record, you're mistaken, I had zero opinion on this topic
> > beyond trying to understand what the issues were.
> 
> Danny, I apologize for assuming that you had an iron in the
> fire on this.  The last time this topic came up on the list
> the original poster definitely had an axe to grind.
> 
> > I've gleaned a
> > few useful insights (e.g., the abuse desk to the ISP that didn't
> > create the SWIPs).
> >
> > As for my "highly negative reaction", I actually thought your
> > response comical - but you senselessly diluted your point trying
> > to be clever.
> >
> 
> Well, it isn't "my" point, as many other administrators act similarly to
> what I described.  But, keep in mind that if you honestly have no POV
> either way on this issue then of course your going to think it's
> diluted, just as the man watching an arrow fly by, aimed at some
> other target, thinks "Oh that's kind of interesting"
> 
> I'm not aiming at you, I'm aiming at the people who want to get
> rid of the whois database, and institute the same kind of
> butchery to it that the DNS registrars have permitted to domain name
> contacts (ie: so-called "privacy" listings that do nothing other than to
> allow criminals to hide themselves)
> 
> Ted
> 
> > I've heard your opinion, I'd like to continue to hear form other
> > folks as well..
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > -danny
> > _______________________________________________
> > PPML
> > You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> > the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> > Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> > http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> > Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.