[arin-ppml] <IGNORING CHRISTOPHER> RE: Apology requested from Christopher Mettin and the Gymnasium Querfurt High School

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Dec 1 15:46:20 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 09:22:23PM +0100, Christopher Mettin wrote:

> As it seems the ground GQHS is on is its own region since no one (even not
> RIPE) feels responsible. Maybe I should ask IANA whether we can become our
> own RIR since the need / geographical size ratio appears to be the same as
> in any other RIR region. But I would like to try to amend the policy though,
> to make educational institutions eligible for a free allocation in the ARIN
> region, since we will open a new campus in Michigan (a state in ARIN's
> region) next year.

	becoming an RIR doesn't really equate to ratios per se.  just saying.

	now as to opening campuses elsewhere - this sounds like you are potentially
	becoming invested in enough infrastructure that your requests for address
	space might become more credible.

	if you buy the routers and circuits to hook up your campuses into a private
	network, then establish peering with one or more ISPs, you have a credible
	case for PI space.

	as John Curran mentioned - you are more than welcome to participate in
	policy discussions here.  and as others have mentioned, there is text
	on the table that might meet your needs - or as Michael Dillion has done,
	offered next text that may be considered as a policy in its own right.

	I suspect however, that unless the new campus in Michigan is the lead operational
	entity for your new institutional network that Johns observation about being
	qualified for address space under existing ARIN policy is sound.

	If I may offer a suggestion;  I would develop a somewhat thicker skin and
	refrain from insinuations/accusations about anyones ethical or moral integrity
	or others claims of same about oneself on this list.  It will not help when
	you try to persaude others of the value of your arguments in a policy discussion.

	Please respect the AUP of this list.

--bill