[arin-ppml] SWIPs & IPv6

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Tue Dec 1 13:33:07 EST 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> I think it would be foolish to assume this.  You bought into
> this naieve notion that SWIP data is mainly of benefit to OTHER people,
> promulgated by all the bonehead privacy-terrorists out there who think
> that a SWIP filed on them will let the identity thieves steal
> them blind.

No, I'm assuming people are lazy.  You seem to be more
optimistic.  It had nothing to do with identity thieves,
the bar is much lower there..

> In reality, SWIPs aren't for the rest of the Internet, they help
> make YOUR job easier.

> So, for LIRS that want to pee all over themselves, well
> then don't file SWIPS.  In fact I ENCOURAGE IT STRONGLY because
> then all I have to do is null-route your ENTIRE AS, I don't even
> have to waste CPU cycles blocking just the obnoxious traffic
> from Wonkulating.

Right, you'll do this until someone that YOUR customers
wants to reach is blocked, and then YOU will remove YOUR
senseless null route...  But that's a local policy decision,
to each their own...

> Probably because of the same reason that a cursory search
> won't find any discussions about the pros and cons of
> staring straight into the sun for an hour at high noon.

I suspect I could find a discussion on that, actually..

At least part of your response was worth reading,

-danny