[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2008-3: Community Networks IPv6 Assignment – Last Call

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Fri Aug 28 08:04:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Member Services<info at arin.net> wrote:

[ clip ]

> 1. Proposal Summary (Staff Understanding)
>
> Staff understand this policy defines a community network as providing
> free or low-cost connectivity, operating as or under the fiscal support
> of a non-profit or university, and run entirely by volunteers.

At least the staff got the intent. Kudos.

[  clip ]

>  The policy would add the term “rural” to the NRPM. We suggest putting
> “(population less than 2,500)” after the word ‘rural regions’. The US
> Census Bureau definition:  “All persons living in [urban areas] and in
> places (cities, towns, villages, etc.) with a population of 2,500
> or more outside of [urban areas] are considered the urban population.
> All others are considered rural.”

Rural isn't the word you are looking for. Rural implies something
different than destitute remoteness. I think that the intent of this
policy was originally an economic one and I think that the staff, in
reading this, got it.

[ clip ]

> 2.8 Community Network
> A community network is any network organized and operated by a volunteer
> group operating as or under the fiscal support of a non-profit organization or university
> for the purpose of providing free or low-cost connectivity to the residents of their local service
> area.

The problematic language for me is "as or under". How do you operate
"under" the fiscal support of a non profit organization? Aren't
Universities non-profits? Diving clubs? Cub Scouts? What constitutes
operating "under" the fiscal support of a non-profit or university? It
looks like this proposal simply grabbed on to hot-button issues to
justify it's creation along with a few loopholes. I'm fairly certain
that while the abuse of this one may be limited, it will be abused.

Best,

Martin