[arin-ppml] Update on 2009-3: Global Policy for the Allocationof IPv4 Blocks to RIRs

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Fri Aug 21 16:59:19 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt<tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
> Martin Hannigan wrote:

>>> This strikes me as a pretty good idea. (Details need to be worked out,
>>> obviously)
>>> While one might want to keep voluntary return to IANA as an option, why
>>> not also authorize direct trades among RIRs (just in-kind trades, not
>>> purchases).
>>>
>>> Why centralize a function and introduce an intermediary if you don't have
>>> to?
>>>

>> It is a decent  idea. I'm skeptical that the other RIR's would sign up
>> for such a system
>
> Right there I think we already have the beginnings of a problem, with your
> term of "system"
>
> This implies a formal system, I was speaking of an INFORMAL "system".
>
> Ideally the hostmaster of ARIN should be able to send an e-mail to the
> hostmaster of, for example, RIPE and say  "I noticed that we got block
> W.X.Y.Z/24 given back to us from Wonkulating Gronkulators, and I
> also noticed that your managing the 2 adjacent /24's that surround it
> and it seems to make more sense for you to take W.X.Y.Z/24 so why
> don't you take it over?"
>
> In short they should be able to just do these things without having to
> go through all the rackafratz of handing it back to IANA for IANA to
> hand back out to RIPE.

Sounds like an idea to me. Anything is better than what is currently
on the table, IMHO. As long as any ARIN ipv4 address space won't be
transferred away or provided to someone that is not subject to the
ARIN RSA I would support that kind of proposal.

> Or am I assuming too much about the hostmasters of the RIR's?  I had
> always thought the ARIN hostmaster we worked with seemed to be a
> pretty competent fellow

They certainly are good fellas. And ladies too!

Best,

Martin