[arin-ppml] Update on 2009-3: Global Policy for the Allocationof IPv4 Blocks to RIRs

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:06:05 EDT 2009

Kevin Kargel wrote:

>> This sentence is more than a suggestion, because it is needed to define
>> "designated address space" for use in the subsequent sentence: "Each RIR
>> shall at quarterly intervals return any such designated address space to
>> the IANA in aggregated blocks of /24 or larger, for inclusion in the
>> recovered IPv4 pool."
>>
>> While turning onto the freeway on-ramp may be optional, once you've done
>> so you MUST continue to the next exit.
>>
>> All of the options under discussion basically do the same thing,
>> AFAICT.  We're just trying to come up with the best language to express
>> it.
>>
>> -Scott
>>

> I guess my point is that if everything is optional then it is not policy.
> Perhaps someone who understands the intended process and goal could produce
> a flowchart, and from that we could develop policy language.
>
> If there are many options then perhaps we need a complex If/Then matrix that
> would preclude a bypass option and would require one of many defined paths.

I'm not sure it makes sense to re-write the global policy any more than
we've already done, but let me see if I can explain the possibilities.
As a background point, remember that global policies are supposed to
define the RIRs' interactions with IANA, while local policies define the
interactions between RIRs and the organizations in their region.

 - RIRs develop their own local policies and procedures  as to
whether/how they want to reclaim IPv4 space.  If nothing is returned, do
nothing here.
 - RIRs develop their own local strategies and policies for deciding
what space goes back to IANA.  If nothing is designated, do nothing
(until someone complains, and a policy/procedure to return space is
adopted).
 - RIRs return any such designated space to IANA at quarterly intervals
in aggregated blocks of /24.
 - IANA creates a returned address space pool.
 - When the IANA free pool is exhausted, and RIRs need more space, they
can request space from the returned pool.
 - IANA gives out space to requesting RIRs, as defined in this global
policy.

-Scott