[arin-ppml] Multihomed Microallocations

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Aug 4 13:19:51 EDT 2009

I do not know if all of the efforts to keep the small guy (multi-DSL) users
off of the backbone are a good thing.  Looking back in the history of the
internet the then little folks using dialup were very instrumental in the
development and R&D that brought about what we enjoy today.

I for one would rather encourage these folks.  I believe the hassle and cost
of obtaining an ASN and going through the hoops to get an allocation are
enough to keep the frivolous users away.

Working to exclude the experimenters and small users will ultimately prevent
good that could be done for the community.  I believe this outweighs any
small burden or abuse we would see from this sector.  Rather than fostering
an elitist attitude and trying to keep anyone who is not as big as us out,
we should be encouraging the small operator.

Kevin