[arin-ppml] Multihomed Microallocations

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Aug 4 10:53:02 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Leo Vegoda<leo.vegoda at icann.org> wrote:
>> My intention was that the $8k be restricted to ISP connectivity costs
>> but if folks feel it would be more fair to include some other costs
>> such as routers or data center charges, I would not object to
>> adjusting it.
>
> If you want to maintain this section I think you need to tighten up the
> wording to unambiguously exclude costs incurred in providing the potential
> registrant's own network infrastructure. Perhaps use a phrase like "paid to
> ISPs for connectivity services".

Hi Leo,

I'll note that for the first update. Thanks.

> I think that this kind of market price and access regulation is a bit blunt
> though, however whatever value is used in place of the $8k.

I'm curious which meaning you intend for "blunt" here.

It is blunt in the sense that it doesn't duck the basic issue: routing
slots are expensive. The RIR minimums are a somewhat disingenuous way
of getting at that issue... If you will have the 500 computers online
that you need to qualify for a /22, you'll certainly be pumping enough
money into the backbone to merit a routing slot. Simply saying that
you have to pump enough money into the backbone to merit a routing
slot offers no finesse or disguise.

On the other hand, I'd argue that the /22 minimum is the blunt
instrument. It blocks the $50 DSL user, true, but it also pummels the
multimillion dollar online service whose only failing is that he found
a way to be efficient with his use of IP addresses. Declaring a
minimum ante to play is more surgically precise. It cuts closer to the
real issue: that we want to be paid for the routing slot we provide.

Still, if the /22 minimum is demonstrated harmful and pay-enough has
no finesse, what's a third alternative for controlling access to the
BGP system so that we aren't overwhelmed by router expense? If there's
a better way, I'm all for it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004