[arin-ppml] market musings

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Thu Apr 30 14:15:19 EDT 2009

Just a short (I hope) thought on IP market rationalization --

In discussion on this list and at ARIN XXIII it seemed to my ear that the
greatest rationalization for instantiation of an IPv4 market is fear of
reprisal (or coup) by big bully powers predicated on a false perception of
the inaction or inability by ARIN to manage IPv4 runout.

If this is in fact the case then to my mind moving to a market model is very
risky, more so than many alternatives including doing nothing.

When you are in fear of political action being taken because of perceived or
manufactured incompetance, embarking on an unproven path in a venture where
you have little experience and marginal skill sets seems foolish.  This
would much increase the likelihood of results or circumstances manifested
that your foes could use against you.

A safer and much more secure course of action would seem to be to continue
doing what one does well, especially when that is backe by a proven record
of success.

With various RIR's moving to a market model, it might well do the world good
to have at least one RIR remain on the shepherd model, at least until the
kinks are ironed out.  And there WILL be kinks.

IMHO we have the choice of continuing to lead or to jump off the bridge
because the other kids are doing it.

I am sure greater minds than mine have had this thought and considered it in
the decisions that have been made, but I wanted to voice it publicly.

Kevin