[arin-ppml] Ted's Comment on 2009-2

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Wed Apr 29 13:38:19 EDT 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> This isn't about driving IPv6.  It's about blocking IPv6.  Right now
> there's ISPs ready and willing to deploy IPv6 and they can't - because
> they are single-homed and their upstream - a larger ISP - isn't ready
> and isn't routing IPv6.

To reiterate, I dont view it in quite those technical terms. As I see
it, a smaller organization cannot or will not take the risks of pushing
an ipv6 product until the larger organizations are doing so.

Smaller organizations get their money from selling a better product than
large organizations and at this point from a customers point of view,
ipv6 is barely a value add to ipv4, forget about replacement.

> Since the
> largest ISP's with the highest IP consumption rates are all in this club,
> and since they can't use the small IPv4 blocks that will be available
> after the larger IPv4 blocks are assigned anyway, it's a no-brainer to
> tell the largest ISPs - who need to be routing IPv6 first - that they will
> lose access to IPv4 block requests first, before small orgs do - as we
> approach IPv4 runout.

I agree.