[arin-ppml] The AC has a job to do with 2009-1 can you please help?

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Mon Apr 6 20:18:51 EDT 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> An address hijack is an offence against the proper user of the
> block, not against ARIN.  ARIN has no power to file charges, the
> hijackee does.

What would you do as Business X if Business Y starts BGP advertising an
IP prefix that you have received an registration from ARIN for?

You would appeal to the ISP's of Business Y and potentially the courts
as a civil suit. You might try to appeal to the LEO's by calling it some
kind of hacking.

Why would the ISP's choose to assist you rather than their customer?

Under what statute does the use of a range of integers become
potentially criminal behavior?

As far as I know there is no law on the books that defines "proper usage
of the block" and I wouldnt want any to exist either.

Joe