[arin-ppml] Looking at just the pro and con merits of 2009-1 review

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Apr 2 18:12:55 EDT 2009

Azinger, Marla wrote:

>     */New Definition /**/“Organization. An Organization is one or more
>     legal entities under common control or ownership.”
>     /*

*I have a serious problem with this one. As an entrepreneur I have
created and/or purchased over a half-dozen companies which use IP
address space.

It would be fatal to some of these businesses for their IP address
management to be lumped together simply because I am the majority owner
of more than one of these. Among other things, it would drastically
complicate things when I (as I often do) sell these entities to new
owners or investors. As an example, I recently sold a podcasting-related
entity shortly after I acquired a wireless ISP. Both used IP addresses,
but in vastly different ways. Both are separate legal entities, one a
California corporation which is now dissolved and whose assets are part
of the Texas corporation, the other a Delaware corporation. There should
be no reason why two different corporations should be required to share
management of their IP address space simply as a consequence of their
current ownership.

Ask any company doing private equity buyouts if they want to be managing
the IP address space for the various types of companies under their
control, as another example.

Matthew Kaufman
*