[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2008-7: Identify Invalid WHOIS POC?s

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Apr 2 14:59:57 EDT 2009

In a message written on Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 02:50:30PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> You're going from "never" to "every year." Given the cost factors,
> make a more modest jump this first time and wait to see what the
> resulting data quality looks like.

One thing to recognize is that the first time through this process
is likely to be the worst, far worse than any other time.  I would
be willing to allow more than one year for the first round; three
would be a stretch to me, two would be a comfortable place.

However, once we have gone through the data I can't see any valid
argument against yearly checks.  If I look at "industry norms" 80%+
of the mailing lists I'm on sends me a reminder once month, domain
names generate a verification once a year, social networking sites
ping me if I haven't used them for about 3 months or so.  Once a
year seems to be on the long-end of the contact scale already.

The problem here is a balance between bugging people too often, and
bugging when there is still information.  For instance, with USPS
mail forwarding lasts 1 year, so if someone moves and forgets to
update their data there is real value to send them a letter every
year.  Online we often don't get forwards, but many records have
multiple POC's (noc, abuse, tech, etc).  Thus we'd like to send the
e-mail at a time when at least one is still valid (perhaps one
person has moved on, but the other three are still there).