[arin-ppml] 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Mon Sep 29 17:23:13 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 04:14:34PM -0500, Kevin Kargel wrote:
> YES!  People really are so worried about introducing money to the
> transaction.
>
> I do not want to end up going to eBay for address space.

I'm not either, but as we run out of space, the choices seem, to me, to
be either eBay, or you just can't get it.  Given "pay" or "no", I
choose the former...especially if the requests are getting properly
examined by a third-party with an interest in efficientcy and validity
of the transfer, and not the money involved, i.e., ARIN.

I'm also pretty certain the transfers for money will take place whether
we all like it or not.  I'd rather have it legitimized by ARIN, rather
than a complete black market.

I really don't like it, but I don't see a practical alternative.
Depending on the good will of those who have space and don't need it
has never worked to well, in my opinion.

-David