[arin-ppml] 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Mon Sep 29 12:39:03 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 05:00:20PM +0100, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> > I still believe that a transfer policy at all is a bad idea
> > and do not support any form.
>
> And given the current problems with the world's financial markets,
> I believe that this is the WRONG TIME for any RIRs to be considering
> liberalization of address block transfers.

Do you really think this?  I don't see any connection between the
incredibly complex problem of the current financial market and a
trivially simple market to redistribute integers.  The time to make any
changes is now, given that we're almost out of this resource.  I don't
think we're in danger of running out of mortgages that can be bundled
and turned into securities anytime soon.

The differences in the two situations are gigantic.  I've deleted the
rest of your text to avoid the temptation to be even more incredulous.

For myself, I'm not sure that a transfer market run by ARIN is
necessarily a great idea.  If we want one, though, I think we need to take
steps to set it up now.

-David