[arin-ppml] ARIN releases new version of the Legacy Registration

Cliff Bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Wed Sep 24 10:40:03 EDT 2008

I haven't seen this discussed in a while and I still see the "no fall
back to status quo" as a problem.  I think if ARIN would change the
"terminate for convenience" by the legacy holder so that the address
space would revert back whatever the status is at that time for those
who didn't sign the LRSA.

My thinking is as follows.  ARIN is trying to get Legacy address holders
to sign an LRSA.  Many have indicated a willingness to do so under
certain conditions.  It appears that one of the major stumbling blocks
for many Legacy holders is being able to "drop out" at a later time for
unspecified reasons.

Let's look at what happens if that were allowed.  Far more legacies
appear to be willing to sign and ARIN would have accomplished what it
wanted to do.  Assume at some time in the future, some of the legacy
holders wanted to terminate "for convenience". If at that time, they are
allowed to drop back to whatever services ARIN provides to non-signing
legacy holders, it would be as if they never signed. If ARIN has at that
time stopped providing any services to non-signers, they are in deep
doo-doo and they will probably not terminate for convenience.  If ARIN
is providing at that time what they provide now in terms of services,
ARIN will have had at least some time of membership and updated
records.  Better than having never signed.

If fewer legacy holders sign up because of the more restrictive clauses,
ARIN will have lost funds and better contact information and they will
be in a worse position than the scernario above.

If in the first scenario, ARIN does a good job of stewardship, I can't
believe any who signed the LRSA would want to drop out and ARIN is in a
better position to recover truly abandoned IPv4.

I think most legacy people feel they should not end up worse off than
the non-signers if they do sign and I think that one clause makes them
feel that way.  If you want, think of it as a "no fault divorce" where
each party leaves with what they came in with.

Cliff