[arin-ppml] would you support a proposal to tighten usage documentation requirements?

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Sep 17 20:39:24 EDT 2008

I'd like to get some feedback on the following.  Just tell me if you
think it's a good idea or not.  The specifics would have to be
hammered out, obviously.  This is a "thumbs up/down" poll.

Problem: right now the NRPM doesn't document explicitly what
information to provide to document usage information.  Many non-ARIN
people read it and get the impression that saying "I have 50 hosts" is
enough to justify their usage.  Section 4.2.3.7.5 says "No. of
Internal Machines".

Talking with ARIN staff, they agree that explicit examples might be a
good thing to have in the book.  They do *not* feel that limiting the
input to a specific format would go over well, but it would certainly
make their job easier.

I therefore propose to write up a policy proposal with the following
goals.  Tell me whether or not you'd support it.  I hate pissing
upwind, so I'm only going to spend time doing this if enough of you
guys and gals think this is a good idea.

1. Replace section 4.2.3.7.5 with some explicit examples of acceptable
input.

2. Change the NRPM wording to say that any documentation provided that
doesn't match the supplied guidelines will be evaluated on a case-by-
case basis.

NOTE: This would not change ARIN acceptance guidelines.  This would
simply better document the existing evaluation process.

    -or-

A. Codify the acceptable format(s) in a way which is easy for us to
machine generate.  (starting with the formats we use today so no
change is necessary)

B. Change the NRPM to require submission in one of the documented
formats.

NOTE: This *would* change ARIN acceptance guidelines by limiting the
acceptable submission format.  It would not otherwise change the
acceptance guidelines.

Frankly, I'm in favor of the latter (alphabetic one) though that will
come as no surprise to anyone who knows me.  But I'd happily write up
and support the former (numeric) proposal because it would vastly
improve the current situation.

And before you reply, repeat after me "Neither of these proposals
would actually change whether or not a given usage would be acceptable
for a given allocation size."

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek