[arin-ppml] the Transfer Policy Argument Space

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Sep 4 15:09:35 EDT 2008

> "The ARIN Board of Trustees on behalf of ARIN and the
> community at large requests that as a service to that
> community, holders of address space which is available to
> return, or which they are willing to make available for
> return, should do so at their earliest convenience.  On
> behalf of the community that will need these addresses as the
> industry transitions to IPv6, ARIN thanks you."

In general, I agree with this approach, although I feel that
the last sentence needs a bit more explanation like "to cover
the shortfall" or else the statement needs to be accompanied
by some text, and maybe a diagram, to explain this to executives
who have never heard of IP addresses or of ARIN.

On the one hand a statement needs to be direct enough that it
spurs the recipient to send it to senior management for a
decision, and on the other hand, the statement needs to
be both informative and convincing when the senior management
reads it.

--Michael Dillon