[arin-ppml] the Transfer Policy Argument Space

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Sep 4 13:39:27 EDT 2008

On 3 Sep 2008 Chris Grundemann wrote:

> Great idea David, I agree 100% that defining / mapping the argument
> space will help everyone to better understand their own position as
> well as the positions of others.

Actually, I think what you created is closer to what is known as a Decision
Tree, rather than an Argument Map, but they serve much the same purpose.
And if people are more comfortable with the Question/Option(Answer) form
rather than a Premis/Conclusion form that is fine with me.

For a little refereance see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_map
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_tree

Note: Maybe a Decision Tree is the way to go you can put probabilities on
the options and crank out an answer if you want to do that kind of thing

> Maybe I am making this more complicated than it needs to be but for me
> to really wrap my head around the entire argument space, I had to take
> a graphical approach.

No this is complicated, that was my point.  I wanted to do something
graphically, but I wanted to get input on the parts first, and I wasn't quite
sure how I wanted to represent it.  But, since you did that work I'm happy to
go with what you got.

> For those interested, it can be found here:
> http://odin.chrisgrundemann.com/Do_I_Support_A_Liberalized_Transfer_Po
> licy.jpg

What did you use to make it?  Could you make the native form available?  If
people think it would help, I'm happy to make some large format printouts
and bring them to LA to put up as a posters on a couple walls, to facilitate
discussion.  (It is really nice to have the CAD guys down the hall with their
large format printer :-))

> I am open to suggestions on how this drawing could be improved,
> utilized, discarded, and/or converted to text to complement the list
> you are generating in this thread.

Rather that attaching the yes output of "Are liberlized Address transfers
helpful to maintain the/a IPv4 Internet" to "will speculators ....." I would attach
it to "will address holders return unused space without additional incentives"

I think some of Lee Howard's comments are interesting too, maybe try
incorporating some of them too.

> ~Chris

Thanks and happy to have you run with the idea, let me know if you need to
hand it back.  I don't want it to drop, but I don't have the me the one that
runs with it.

David Farmer				     Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:		612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-1818