[arin-ppml] IPv4 is depleted today

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 03:50:33 EDT 2008

Milton,

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
<snip>
> Your post has two clear implications. One is that any policy regarding
> IPv4 depletion should not be contingent on free pool exhaustion but
> should go into effect as soon as feasible. The second is that you have
> conclusively demonstrated how inapplicable and outdated the whole
> business of assigning IPv4 according to "need" has become in these
> circumstances.

Perhaps you are forgetting the goals of the RIRs, two of the crucial
ones are Conservation and Aggregation.  Allocation and Assignment
according to need furthers both principles (generally).

If you have a proposal to change the NRM 4.2.1.4. (or any other part
of the NRM), please submit this as a policy proposal per:
http://www.arin.net/policy/irpep.html

<snip>

> For me, liberalization of transfers is no longer a debate about the
> merits of that policy itself. It has become a debate about whether the
> ARIN community has become so ideologically rigid in its commitment to
> "address Marxism"

nice one ;-/, see DK's reply to you re: keeping on topic.

that it cannot adapt to new economic realities. I will
> watch the progress of these policies with interest as a kind of
> diagnosis of the health of the RIR governance regime. If ARIN and the
> others cannot face reality and execute on this matter, it will not bode
> well for the future.

The RIRs bottom up PDPes do face reality as the discussion in the
various RIR fora have shown.  They may not want to "execute" they way
you do, but this doesn't mean the "governance regime" isn't healthy,
it just means that your POV isn't the consensus one.

--
Cheers,

McTim
mctim.blogspot.com