[arin-ppml] The Library Book Approach to IPv4 Scarcity

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Oct 29 14:56:31 EDT 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 6:52 AM, Kevin Kargel wrote:
> What you are proposing could easily turn in to an excessive annual
> manpower
> requirement for an ISP.  It could easily be forgotten or mis-
> assigned with
> terrible consequences.

Not unless the ISP throws away the information gained from the
previous year every time and does it all from scratch.

And I mean seriously, have you ever worked at an ISP that didn't have
an internal database with information about every single IP
allocation?  ISPs are going to find this exercise trivial.

> I don't mind paying for something that I get value from,
> but please keep niggling fingers out of my budget.

This is the cost of your IP allocation.  It's actually right there in
your contract, right now, today.  What is being proposed is simply
enforcement of those contractual terms.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek