[arin-ppml] Suggestion: charging for IPv4 space

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Oct 22 17:47:18 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at ipinc.net>
To: "'Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond'" <ocl at gih.com>; <ppml at arin.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:06 AM
Subject: RE: [arin-ppml] Suggestion: charging for IPv4 space

[...]
> EDUCATION and EMPOWERMENT is the only answer.
>
> We need to identify the people in the orgs that are the decision
> makers, educate them on the upcoming IPv4 runout, and they
> need to complain to who they are paying for connectivity to
> get to work on IPv6.

I agree but this is only one of the elements to make it happen,
especially since the only language that decision makers understand
is the one about money. That language is universal. From experience,
I have found that nothing else quite hits the spot, especially
forecasts involving technical linguo. (IPv4? Why 4? Why 6 now?)

> I think your being very colorful with the metaphors.  I also think
> you would be excellent at identifying the people in the orgs that
> are the decision makers, educating them on the upcoming IPv4 runout,
> and telling them to complain to who they are paying for connectivity to
> get to work on IPv6.
>
> This is your mission Oliver, should you decide to accept it! ;-)

...and this takes us back to the issue at hand: Fund me and I'm ready
to do it.  :-)

Olivier