[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet AddressesAre LyingIdle" (slashdot)

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Oct 22 13:40:33 EDT 2008

Ron Cleven wrote:
> michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>
>>> Obviously nobody on this list cares about establishing simple market-based incentives to get IPv6 moving.
>>>
>> That is not ARIN's job.
>>

> This must be ARINv4 list.  Is there an ARINv6 list?  How did all that
> IPv6 crap get on the ARIN.NET web site?

ARIN is chartered to steward number resources; it is not chartered to
promote one type of resource over the others.  Mr. Curran has made that
quite clear in past discussions.

> I forgot about your previous point that ARIN does not worry about any solutions being practical. Hence, I compounded my error, as obviously using simple market-based incentives to get IPv6 moving falls dangerously into the realm of the practical.

ARIN already _does_ offer incentives (through policy and fee schedule)
for IPv6 adoption, and IMHO that is already leaning a bit over the line.

> Don't worry, I promise I will never make any more suggestions that violate that tenet.  Heaven help us if someone (as another example of such stupidity) actually suggested that ARIN would phase out IPv4 allocations to organizations who do not, in parallel, support IPv6

IMHO, that would not meet ARIN's responsibility of stewardship for the
IPv4 space.  Incentives are one thing, but punishment is quite another.