[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet Addresses Are Lying Idle" (slashdot)

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue Oct 21 14:39:40 EDT 2008

On Oct 20, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> no action of that kind can change the inevitability of runout, nor
> change
> the short term expedients for all connected networks.  so, why bother?

I saw a lot of projections about what bigger providers would be forced
to do in short-term runout, prior to wide availability of IPv6.  Not a
single person in the room said that multi-level provider-wide NATs
would make the world a better place.

The amount of effort involved in reclaiming completely unused blocks
is <= one full time person for a year.  That's a small cost for an
extension.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek