[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sun Nov 23 20:27:14 EST 2008

In a message written on Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 07:19:28PM -0600, Robert Bonomi wrote:
> A =direct= consequence of that approach is that IP addresses _are_
> "property", that the recipient of the allocation/assignment *does*
> "own" them, and can do "whatsoever they wish" with them.

I'm a bit confused by this statement.

Recipients under this plan receive the space persuant to a standard
RSA, which includes specific language that they agree they do not
own them.

Perhaps you're suggesting that the act of ARIN providing compenstation
to get them back makes them "property".  I won't get into the legal
theories, as I suspect until tested in court no one knows, but the
policy is careful to state that the payment is for the trouble of
freeing the resource (renumbering, etc) and not for the resource
itself.  I would hope that would be reflected in the contract ARIN
chose to use for that process.

> If a resource _is_ being utilized, albeit under-utilized, or inefficiently
> utilized, there -are- costs to the user of that resource to switch to more-
> efficient utilization and/or discontinue completely the use of that resource.

Exactly, and the community (via ARIN) would be offering to pay those
costs to free the resource, not to pay for the resource itself.