[arin-ppml] Is this more desired than aTransferPolicy? Needinput

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue Nov 18 18:49:50 EST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 3:40 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Making statements like "me against the rest of you" isn't productive.
> It so happens that I have been "on" the Internet since the early 80's,
> and in fact I ran UUCP for mail for a number of years as well as
> Netware 3.  I even ran cc:Mail-UUCP gateway at one company I worked
> for, if you want to have a contest in what's the ugliest non-IP
> software package you've worked on.

Ha.   Just in the joking sense, I can outrun you on that.  I was
ultimately responsible for making the entire NavSEA SEA05
administration (~10,000 accounts) work properly through that same
gateway for Internet mail.  I ended up rewriting/fixing the entire
directory service and the gateway's interface to it to make it work.
Yeah, I know those days.

> IPv6 does not require a "massive investment in new infrastructure"
> IMHO.

It's a big change.  You can't just "turn it on".  You have to redesign
your firewalls, and you have to make sure that it doesn't break every
single one of your business-critical applications.   Even just the
evaluation of the applications is a major undertaking.

> And finally, leaf-node businesses that have a SINGLE connection to
> the Internet can replace their existing firewall (that most likely
> uses NAT) with a newer one that runs IPv4<->IPv6 proxying, so
> they won't even have to bother changing anything.  And that describes
> just about every business in the US that has under 200 employees.
> (which is the majority of businesses in the US)

Really?  Show me what an IPv6 capable Mac or PC does when it receives
an AAAA record in a DNS request submitted on an IPv4 network.
(no, don't show me.  But acknowledge that this isn't as simple as
you're making it)

> Please outline some REASONABLE scenarios that are WIDELY applicable
> that you feel would require massive upgrades in new infrastructure.

Like I said above, any business which can identify 2 or more pieces of
software that are crucial to their business.

Just because we can do our entire job with a shell prompt and a mail
client doesn't mean that it is true or even common for the rest of the
world.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek