[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-14 - Staff Assessment

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Mar 24 11:28:53 EDT 2008

In a message written on Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 08:02:56AM +0900, Owen DeLong wrote:
> > 2.   Item 3 requires staff to share the results of an audit of an
> > organization?s resources.  Staff often reviews an organization?s
> > transaction history and resources during fraud or suspicious activity
> > investigations and feels that it is not always prudent to share those
> > results.
> >
> While this may be true under some circumstances, the authors feel
> that transparency is the overriding concern here. Further, the "results"
> which must be shared are not intended to go beyond the level of
> "a review was conducted and ARIN will be taking XYZ action
> as a result." where XYZ would be one of "NO" or "further steps
> to reclaim" or other appropriate phrase.
>
> We did not expect results to include detailed internal data about
> the process or any privileged work product of any investigation.
>
> If staff feels that the current language does not achieve this intent,
> the authors would welcome recommended language from staff
> or any other source which achieves this stated intent.

I'd like to echo Owen's statement.  In this case we're talking about
an existing resource holder; and while they may be a bad actor they
are still a resource holder and deserve some information as to the
result of the audit.  Providing some feedback is really our only
hope of having a bad actor realize the error of their ways and come
back into the fold.

That said, I don't think ARIN needs to identify methods and sources;
full disclosure of why the conclusion was reached is not necessary.

The current language to me allows ARIN staff to chart such a course,
but obviously with the staff concern such a course is not clearly marked
in this case.  I urge staff and the author to  find a way to update item
3 to remove this staff concern prior to the Denver meeting.