[ppml] Policy to help the little guys

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Thu Mar 20 13:32:15 EDT 2008

William Herrin wrote:

>> The difference would be in the likelyhood that the PA /24 is reachable
>> through the PA aggregate prefix even if it filtered. Hence, safer to filter.
>>

>Joe,
>
>Would not such filtering would defeat the purpose of multihoming in
>the first place?
>
>Regards,
>Bill Herrin

For the filtered, yes. But not for the filterer.

That means a few things.

- PA /24 is encouraged to maintain connectivity with the P from the PA
- PI /24 is more desirable to the site that wants true multihoming
- PA /24 is more desirable for the sites that want to filter all those
pesky multihomers
- Filtering PA /24  is more legitimate than PI /24, so that changes the
"its broken, fix it" dynamic