[ppml] Policy to help the little guys

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Wed Mar 19 20:08:52 EDT 2008

David,

|Your assertion seems to imply that any org like mine isn't paying it's
|fair share, but we would be with the exact same setup in PA space.  In
|other words, if we got space from one of our upstreams, we'd magically
|be paying our share.

More precisely, if you were using PA without deaggregating it into a global
advertisement, then you wouldn't cause others to incurr costs.

|The only way I see PI as destructive in the way you describe is for a
|PI site to be singlehomed with a default route to their upstream and an
|announcement of their AS and IP space.  In that case, you need a Cisco
|2514, and you are probably not bearing your fair share of the costs of
|your route.  I've already stated that I don't understand the utility of
|singlehomed PI.  In the multihomed case, however, I think your
|assertion
|in the quoted message is entirely incorrect.

Being multihomed does not decrease the costs associated with a global
advertisement.  Certainly, it's more rational, but regardless of the
motivations, a global advertisement costs everyone the same.

Tony