[ppml] Policy to help the little guys

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Mar 19 18:29:48 EDT 2008

> I can think of a few reasons to stop at /24 for now, but I think the
> most important is that IMO policy shouldn't force ISPs to liberalize
> filter policy, but rather should respond to it.

the /19 filter length was negotiated between registries and isps in
danvers as a cooperation.  the extensions down to today's lengths
similarly, though thank the ghodesses not in danvers.  i think it is
safe to assume that, given sufficient warning, if a micro-swamp was
created, folk would open a filter hole for it.  after all, we did not
used to allow /24s.

randy