[ppml] NANOG IPv4 Exhaustion BoF

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Fri Mar 7 01:25:46 EST 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 12:38 AM, Geoff Huston wrote:

> You know, I have this suspicion thats what this industry does best,
> and
> has perfected this approach with more than a century of practice.
> Indeed
> thats what I thought was encompassed in a economic study of this
> situation where we have managed to get to where we are now by
> precisely
> this behaviour of each actor diligently pursuing their (of their
> shareholders') interests.

Sometimes that best practice leads to global or near-global collapse.
It has happened twice in our industries/careers already, with costs
that I believe you both know well.

Sometimes what follows the collapse is better, sometimes it's not
that obvious.
Regardless, many people and companies suffer badly, for a long time
if not permanently.

If you wish to claim that this transition poses no such risks, then I
will try very hard to just move on to other points.

If you acknowledge that risk, however, I think it's worth considering
less risky/volatile options.

TV