[arin-ppml] Creating a market for IPv4 address space in absenceof routing table entry market

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Jun 19 07:25:21 EDT 2008

-
> > > I don't think anyone who advocates a market in address
> space thinks
> > > that implies ownership of address space.  It implies ownership of
> > > the right to use address space (i.e. a license to use that unique
> > > set of integers, in the limited context of the IPv4 Internet.)
> >
> > If so, then that would be a MAJOR change to the set of rights wich
> > currently come with an ARIN allocation. Currently you have
> a right to
> > use those integers in devices which support the Internet Protocol
> > version 4. This holds whether or not you connect the set of
> devices to
> > the Internet or not. If you have a need for uniqueness, you
> can apply
> > to ARIN and get addresses. Many companies have done so,
> often to use
> > in VPNs or private internetworks (also called extranets) in which
> > companies connect to their trading partners.
>
> No, this is no change at all to the rights that come with an
> ARIN allocation.

Yes it is. Many companies, including the one I work for, have applied
for and received ARIN allocations for use on IP networks that are not on
the Internet. RFC 2050 which is the basis for the RIR system allows for
this. There has never been a restriction or requirement about using
registered IP addresses on the Internet.

> If I am building my own IPv4 network that
> is not connected to the Internet, I can use any set of
> addresses I want.
> I do *not* need ARIN's (or anyone else's) permission to do
> this.  I do not have any guarantee of uniqueness, but if I'm
> not connected to the Internet, I don't care.

Not true. If I am building boxes with hardcoded IP addresses, that will
be plugged in at some random network location, then I do care about IP
address conflicts. If I am running a private internetwork which multiple
companies will connect to then I do care. Please don't just make up
facts. I am discussing the situation as it exists today.

> lso, if I want
> to use 32-bit numbers for any purpose not related to IP or
> specifically IPv4, ARIN's supplied 32-bit numbers are of
> absolutely no relevence.

What is your point? As I stated before, IPv4ddresses are for
use on network devices that use Internet Protocol version 4.
This says nothing about the Internet. The Internet is a public
IP internetwork and is a subset which contains a subset of the
devices using IPv4, even if you count all the devices behind NATs.

> The rights granted by ARIN in conjunction with an IPv4
> address apply only to the use of that address on the
> Internet, and not to that number in any other context.  This
> has always been true.
> It is *not* a change.

You sir, are wrong and you clearly have not been reading
RFC 2050, ARIN's policy, the ARIN RSA, and the ARIN charter.
We do not operate based on network mythology, except in the
case of the whois directory.

--Michael Dillon