[arin-ppml] Whois Archival Policy?

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Wed Jun 18 22:01:52 EDT 2008

On 18 Jun 2008, at 12:38, Steve Atkins wrote:

> Implementing it as a webapp wouldn't be too difficult, given access to
> archived bulk data or transaction logs, and using ongoing access to
> current bulk data to keep it updated (and I'd certainly find the
> information useful).

Since in my personal experience it's far harder to come up with a name
for something than to implement it, I offer the following short-cut.

When we were working on OpenReg at ISC to support the ISC/IMS bid for
the ORG registry, we discussed an ambition to provide a "whowas"
service which would provide historical information about registry
records.

I am not aware of any real prospect of a whois-like interface for
historical registry data ever being made available in any domain
registry today. However, if the word "whowas" could feature in an
analogous service at some other type of registry, it would make me
curiously happy.

For what that's worth. :-)

Joe