[arin-ppml] Creating a market for IPv4 address space in absence of routing table entry market

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Jun 17 09:35:46 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 06:16:04PM -0400, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

	that is a leap of faith - to presume that all participants
	on the arin public policy mailing list want to buy addresses.
	and since you have not aske me my opinion, your presumption
	that i am the sole exception is ... unrealistic.

> > 	"strong reasons" - which are?  please elaborate the reasons
> > 		and why they are particularly strong?
>
> Is this a trick question? The strong reasons are the continued fast
> growth in the ipv4 Internet, the depletion of the v4 free pool and the
> huge uncertainty regarding the leap to ipv6.

	for reasons stated elsewhere in this thread, the "continued
	fast growth in the ipv4 Internet" is doomed. there are only
	4 billion marbles to play with and soon all of them will be
	in play.  We can't make more.  We have two choices;  NAT all
	the way down or IPv6.

	I think your presuming that -IF- one could buy/sell integers
	-AND- Milton happend to "buy" 128.0.0.0/3 - that anyone would
	automatically route it for you.  Regardless of your status
	with regard to any prefix in question, "owner" or (imho) steward,
	there is ZERO assurance of routablity by a third party.

> > 	I still have no assurance
> > 	that my ISP will be willing or able to route packets - but that
> > 	issue is not something ARIN (or any RIR) can do anything about.
>
> That was precisely my point. If ARIN or any other RIR authorizes address
> transfers, that act in and of itself neither undermines nor improves
> routability.

	Ah... perhaps my presumption stated above is not what
	you think after all.
	authorizing transfers does not equate to buying/selling
	address space.

--bill