[arin-ppml] 464: was (Re: IPv6 adoption, map-encap for IPv4?)

Alain Durand alain_durand at cable.comcast.com
Fri Jun 13 09:15:04 EDT 2008

On 6/12/08 11:00 PM, "Robin Whittle" <rw at firstpr.com.au> wrote:

> Comcast and maybe other providers have a lot riding on this
> IPv6-only service model.  If it is so feasible, I would have thought
> they would have done some actual trials with real users by now.
> Alternatively, they might have done a careful study of exactly what
> a hundred or so home and SOHO customers do with their PCs and
> Internet services over a period of 3 months, and then recreated a
> representative subset of this in the lab - to see how it flies with
> their IPv6-only service.

I would suggest you read any of my presentations about 464. I clearly say
that an IPv6-only service to broadband customers is a non starter today.
464 is all about providing IPv4 service for legacy PC/apps while
provisioning the home gateway with IPv6-only, no IPv4 on the WAN interface.

Think of IPv6 a a wonderful end to end L2 taking our packets to the nearest
IPv4-IPv4 NAT box ;-)

IMHO, 464 is a technology that makes IPv6 backward compatible with IPv4.

As about trials, we are doing some this year. We used a preview of the
technology at IETF71 in Philadelphia last March during the planned IPv4
outage. We are expecting to demo the full technology at the next NANOG/ARIN
meeting in LA.

   - Alain.